What to Do if Your Dog Eats Chocolate
As responsible dog owners, we all know chocolate can be extremely toxic to our companion’s health. Depending on the type, and amount of chocolate your pup has consumed, you can quickly find yourself in the middle of a pet emergency. If you know your pup has consumed any amount of chocolate it’s key to take them to the vet as quickly as possible. Below you find the basic symptoms of chocolate poisoning in dogs and how to quickly handle helping your pup if they eat this forbidden food.
What are the Symptoms of Chocolate Poisoning in Dogs?
The severity of chocolate poinisong depends on the amount, type of chocolate, and weight of your dog. According to the American Kennel Club, chocolate poisoning usually manifests within 6 to 12 hours after consumption, and generally includes the following symptoms:
- Vomiting and Diarrhea
- Tremors and Seizures
- Frequent Urination
- Abnormal heart rate
- Death (older dogs are at higher risk)
The bottom line, if your dog consumes any amount of chocolate: take them to the vet. Chocolate poisoning is extremely dangerous for our canine friends - especially if your dog is a smaller breed or a senior. Take preventative care by keeping all types of chocolate strictly kept away from your curious pup’s questing mouth.
Selecting a Doggy Day Camp You Can Trust
If your pet needs baseline diagnostic testing or emergency testing services - look no further than Culebra Creek Veterinary Hospital & Resort. Our team is dedicated to quickly providing your companion with the necessary testing and treatment needed to save their life and keep them healthy and strong. To learn more about our in-house laboratory services, please give us a call